After a crazy past week I am finally uploading some pictures of my Fall Break trip to Lake Michigan! There is the lake in the summer, and yes that is great, but let me tell ya. The lake in fall is something else entirely! I may be biased, but there is something about a crisp lake breeze and changing leaves that just makes the heart content!
My family has been spending a few days up at Lake Michigan for the past 3-4 fall breaks and it is definitely our go to, easy vacation! We have a few favorite towns: New Buffalo, St. Joseph, and South Haven. They are all less than 40 minutes from each other right along the lake and Red Arrow Highway!
New Buffalo, Michigan
- Lakefront Park: This is a public beach right across the the harbor in New Buffalo! It has the cutest little lighthouse and a new observation deck! For the adventurous type, there are also giant rocks along the harbor that go pretty far into the lake and you can go all the way to the edge! My dad, my brother Carson, and I actually did this for the first time this trip!
We left early Friday morning, and we arrived in New Buffalo around 1:00! My mom packed a cute little picnic for us with pumpkin soup and chicken salad croissants, and we spent some time taking pictures and walking along the beach!
We also walked around New Buffalo before we left again on Sunday! We had breakfast at a cute local haunt, Rosie’s Restaurant!
St. Joseph, Michigan
This is my absolute favorite town in Michigan and maybe my all time favorite little town ever!! I could possibly spend forever here and it is where we spent part of our Saturday!
- Chocolate Cafe: This is the perfect this coffee shop! I had the yummiest pumpkin hot chocolate and it was the perfect hot drink for the chilly lake breeze!
- Silver Beach: This is another cute little beach with a light house that is larger than in New Buffalo! It is right down the hill from downtown and the stores, and you can easily walk to it in less than 5 minutes!
- Schu’s Grill: My family won’t come to Michigan if we don’t visit Schu’s! My dad absolutely love’s this restaurant and it sits right on the hill overlooking the lake! The past couple times I have had their gumbo and it has not disappointed!
South Haven, Michigan
Lastly, but certainly not least, we spent part of Saturday in South Haven as well! Similar to all the other towns, it has cute shops downtown and quaint little beaches! Are you seeing the trend? haha! We also went to their amazing farmers market where I got fresh green beans, sweet potatoes, and pears (recipes to come!)!
- Renaissance and Papyrus: You have GOT to check this cute little boutique out! Of all the stores in Michigan, this one is my favorite! So many cute clothes and things for the home!
I loved getting to spend time with my family and enjoy a little break from classes! SUCH a perfect weekend and the easiest getaway!