It’s Derby season! If you are from the Louisville area you know just how exciting that phrase is! And we are just TWO days away from Christmas in May! AKA the Kentucky Derby. Having grown up in the Louisville area my whole life, Derby is more than just a two minute horse race. It is Thunder Over Louisville, food at the Chow Wagon, and the Pegasus Parade. It is endless memories and so much more. It is really the greatest time to be in Louisville!
Derby season also means Derby pie! I am a sucker for a good party dessert and these mini pies truly sum up the celebration of the season in just a few bites! If you need the perfect party dessert, look no further.
Ingredients (Makes 18 Mini Pies):
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter- room temperature
- 7 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon (or water)
- 2 teaspoons of cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the pie crust: Cut butter into small bits and mix with flour and salt in a large bowl until lumpy. Add water one tablespoon at time and continue to mix until a dough forms. Mix with hands. Roll on a flat surface and cut small circles using a circle-shaped cookie cutter or cup. Spray a cupcake holder with nonstick spray. Form circles inside the cupcake holder. (**Refrigerated, pre-made pie crust would work just as well!)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- For the filling: Combine corn syrup, sugar, brown sugar, and bourbon in a pan. Bring to a boil. Set aside. Using a whisk, mix eggs, cornmeal, and vanilla. Gradually add the hot mixture and whisk together until combined.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and pecans in the bottom of the individual pies.
- Fill pies with the wet mixture, careful not to overfill.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I did! Happy Derby!